Anoka County responds to second standoff within days involving the same armed suspect

A Spring Lake Park man has been arrested twice in ten days following armed standoffs with law enforcement.

For the second time in just days, Anoka County law enforcement authorities found themselves in a standoff with the same armed male at a residence in the northeast metro.

Fifty-year-old Steven Carlos Bezek was arrested Monday afternoon following a standoff incident that began just after 11 a.m. in Spring Lake Park, MN. Just 10 days ago, Bezek was arrested following a similar standoff incident.

On June 26 just before 6 p.m., Anoka County law enforcement responded to the 7700 block of Jackson Street Northeast in the city of Spring Lake Park, MN, on a report that a man, later identified as Bezek, had displayed a rifle during a dispute with a neighbor. The neighbor told police that Bezek had racked the bolt action of his rifle and dry fired the weapon into the air and retreated into his residence.


Multiple law enforcement agencies responded along with negotiators and a SWAT team. Nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution during the hours long standoff. 

(Spring Lake Park, MN, June 26, 2020)

The Anoka County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO) provided information following the standoff stating that officers could hear gunshots being fired from inside Bezek’s residence during the incident.

Bezek was eventually taken into custody after surrendering and was booked into jail on probable cause terroristic threats and discharging a firearm in a municipality. However, Bezek was subsequently released, and formal charges have not yet been filed in the June 26 incident.

Monday’s incident also started as a report of a man who had threatened a person with a gun. Again, multiple law enforcement agencies responded along with a SWAT team. Law enforcement heard shots being fired from inside the home and a nearby occupied home was struck with gunfire, according to a press release by the ACSO following the incident.

Around 3:30 p.m. on Monday, Anoka County Sheriff James Stuart posted a live video updating the public on what was going on. Stuart stated in the video that the suspect was armed with a large caliber handgun and had fired shots at officers twice, striking one of the armored vehicles that was on site.

Stuart said that officers did not fire back at Bezek and he urged the public to stay away from the area.

Bezek was eventually taken into custody after SWAT team members were able to prevent him from re-entering his home after stepping outside.

Bezek is currently being held in Anoka County Jail on four probable cause felony charges of fourth-degree assault, use of deadly force against a peace officer, second-degree assault and terroristic threats. 

Stay with Alpha News for updates on this developing case.


Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota