Days after Felony Charges Dismissed in Brutal Assault Case, Suspect Facing New Felony Charges for Violating Protection Orders

Just days after a plea agreement dismissed felony charges in a brutal assault case, the suspect is again facing felony charges after being accused of violating protection orders related to the case.

Abdifatah Abdinasir Sugule, Anoka County Jail

Abdifatah Abdinasir Sugule was accused in Oct. 2018 of attacking a Coon Rapids woman with a frying pan, then punching and stabbing her after breaking into her residence. Following a plea agreement in the case last month, the felony charges against Sugule were dismissed. Just days after that dismissal, Sugule was charged with four new felonies after violating protection orders related to the case, according to a new court filing.

A contemporaneous report on the charges that followed the 2018 assault stated that officers responded to an emergency call from a child asking for help. Upon arrival they found a woman, the victim, with blood on her face and a stab wound to her abdomen.

The woman told police that she’d returned home to find Sugule inside and that he immediately attacked her with the frying pan and punched her in the head and face. Sugule also allegedly stabbed the victim and threatened to kill her and himself. The woman was able to identify Sugule to police because she had a prior relationship with him, the report said.

Sugule was originally charged in Anoka County following the incident with second-degree assault, first-degree burglary and threats of violence. Sugule was granted a public defender in the case, and several requests for interpreter services were granted for the hearings that followed.

Court records indicate that in June 2019, Sugule was found incompetent to stand trial. Prosecutors subsequently filed a notice with the court of intent to prosecute (in the eventuality that Sugule would be found competent to stand trial). A separate mental health court case indicates that in July 2019 Sugule was ordered committed as mentally ill.

At further review hearings in late 2019, Sugule was found competent to stand trial and a jury trial was scheduled to start February 3.

Court records indicate that prosecutors amended the charges against Sugule in January of this year to one felony count of first-degree assault involving great bodily harm and one felony count of threats of violence, along with two misdemeanor charges of violation of a domestic abuse no contact order. 

On Feb. 5, two days after jury selection proceedings had already begun, a plea agreement was reached, according to court records.

A spokesperson with the Anoka County Attorney’s Office (ACAO) confirmed that under the terms of the plea agreement, Sugule pleaded guilty to the two misdemeanor charges, and the two felony charges were dismissed on the condition that Sugule “comply with [the related] civil commitment case.”

Sugule was sentenced to 53 days and 17 days in jail on the two misdemeanor counts, respectively, and was given credit for an equivalent amount of time already served in jail and was placed on probation for a term of one year by Judge Kristin C. Larson

During the sentencing hearing, Sugule was also served with a new domestic abuse no contact order forbidding contact with the victim or her child, which was in addition to an already existing order for protection prohibiting contact with the victim and her child, according to a court filing.

The separate mental health case record states that Sugule was ordered in December to “continued commitment” through March 30, 2020, and that ruling was also confirmed by the ACAO spokesperson. However, the record in that case states that a “provisional discharge” was granted to Sugule on Feb. 11. 


New charging documents filed in Anoka County state that on Feb. 19 just before 10 p.m., police were dispatched to a residence on Redwood Street Northwest in the city of Coon Rapids, MN, on a report of a violation of a domestic abuse no contact order. The complainant (victim) said that Sugule was outside her residence and was knocking on the door.

When police arrived, they found the victim waiting in her vehicle and subsequently entered the residence with the victim through a patio door. The officer could hear knocking at the front door and a male asking to be let in. The victim’s child was inside the residence and telling the male that the victim did not want to talk to him and that he needed to go away. 

The officer opened the door and recognized Sugule from previous encounters and took him into custody.

Sugule was subsequently charged with two felony counts of violation of a no contact order and two felony counts of violating an order for protection. If convicted, the complaint states that Sugule could face a sentence of 30 days or up to a maximum of 5 years on each count.

Sugule remains in custody in Anoka County Jail on $30,000 bail and is scheduled to make his next appearance on the charges on March 18. The mental health court record indicates that a notice of intent to revoke Sugule’s provisional discharge was filed and that he is again being held for civil commitment.

Sponsor this content. You can help ensure that Alpha News can continue to publish important public safety news and information. Email: pbagnpghf@nycunarjfza.pbz.


Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and greater Minnesota.

Crime Watch MN

Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.