Abdifatah Abdirisak Badil, 34, of Minneapolis was charged in Hennepin County District Court on Friday after allegedly making violent sexual threats to rape two women unknown to him earlier in the week in Cedar Riverside.
CHARGED: Threats of violence x2 and 5th degree CSC
Abdifatah Abdirisak Badil, 03/03/1988
aka Abdifatah Dahir
Badil also has a pending RamseyCo case on 5th Degree CSC – Masturbation/lewd exhibition in front of families, but RamCo cut him a plea deal and spun him out w no bail. pic.twitter.com/5OdRbQpbCS
— CrimeWatchMpls (@CrimeWatchMpls) January 7, 2023
Police received two separate reports within 15 minutes late Wednesday night about a suspicious person who had threatened to rape women in Cedar Riverside – one in a laundry room at 1615 South 4th Street, and another on the 400 block of Cedar Avenue as a woman tried to enter her apartment building. In one incident, the suspect told the woman he was going to rape her, exposed his genitals and began masturbating. He also tried to grab the woman’s buttocks as she left, but she averted his reach. In the other incident, the suspect approached the victim from very close behind and made a violent sexual threat to rape her. The woman began screaming and the suspect walked away. Both victims told police they were “very scared” during the encounters.
Police were advised just before 1 a.m. Thursday that security at the 1615 building had the suspect detained.
Badil has been charged with two counts of threats of violence and one count of fifth degree attempted criminal sexual conduct involving non-consensual contact, all felonies.
Court records show that Badil, who is also known as Abdifatah Dahir, was charged in early December in Ramsey County District Court following several reports that Badil was seen exposing himself and masturbating in front of families and children at a St. Paul holiday community event. Witnesses told police that the suspect, later identified as Badil/Dahir, was shaking his penis at children as he masturbated. One female witness reported to police that she could clearly see the man with his penis in his hand “on full display” as men, women, and children passed him to gain access to the restrooms.
Badil was charged in the Ramsey County case with one felony count of fifth degree criminal sexual conduct involving masturbation and lewd exhibition while children were present.
Further court records show that Ramsey County prosecutors offered Badil a plea deal that included a stay-of-imposition on the felony sentence and a 90-day cap on jail time in exchange for a guilty plea. Badil was released from custody on Dec. 29 by Judge Richard H. Kyle, Jr. with zero bail required to await sentencing. He was arrested six days later on the new Hennepin County charges.
Badil remains in custody at Hennepin County Jail on $60,000 bail. He’s been granted a public defender and has requested language interpreter services for hearings. His next court hearing is scheduled for Jan. 31. A warrant has been issued for his arrest in the Ramsey County case revoking his interim conditions of release.
A Minneapolis man was charged Friday in Hennepin County District Court after objects were thrown from the 9th floor of an apartment building damaging vehicles in downtown Minneapolis last week.
Michael Brett Judy, 29, has been charged with two counts of felony damage to property including foreseeable risk for bodily harm, and damage over $1,000 related to the incidents which charges say spanned between Jan. 3 to 5 on the 300 block of Washington Avenue South.
Late night Jan. 4 to just after midnight on Jan. 5, two separate reports of dumbbells being thrown from a building causing damage to vehicles were reported within 40 minutes, according to dispatch audio. Later Thursday evening, Jan. 5, Crime Watch received several messages from people reporting that a SWAT team was on site at 3rd and Washington Avenue South. A source later confirmed to Crime Watch that a male had been taken into custody related to the property damage incidents.
The charging document against Judy states that he lives in an apartment unit on the 9th floor of 313 Washington Avenue South. Police received the first damage report on Jan. 3 just before 7 p.m. when a 911 caller reported that a cereal bowl struck and damaged the hood of their vehicle. Police were able to obtain Milestone camera footage that showed movement on a balcony on the 9th floor around the time of the incident.
Around 8 p.m. that same night, a 911 caller reported being almost struck by falling furniture. A table and chairs were located on the street under the suspect’s 9th floor apartment.
In the late-night incident on Jan. 4, the complaint describes that an airport shuttle with a driver and seven passengers was driving north on 3rd Avenue South when a black dumbbell hit the roof, and the van quickly left the area to contact police. A large dent was made in the top passenger side of the van. The driver reported being terrified, and a passenger stated that the weight hit right above where he was sitting. Milestone cameras were again used to zoom in on the 9th floor apartment, and a person could be seen moving on the apartment’s balcony. The weight that was thrown was recovered from the street. The complaint says the damage to the van’s roof, side panel, and door exceeded $1,000.
In the other incident that occurred just after midnight on Jan. 5, a 911 caller reported that their windshield was smashed by a wine bottle. Police again observed movement on the 9th floor balcony just before and after the incident.
A police inquiry to management of the building found that Judy had recently been served eviction paperwork. Police were able to make a comparison of a DVS photo of Judy to the person observed on the balcony. The suspect also had tattoos that were consistent with Judy’s known tattoos. A total of five damage reports were received by police who continued to monitor the apartment through a Milestone camera. Police observed a person throw multiple objects over the railing including a cordless drill, a coffeemaker, a coffee pot, and a milk jug. Police observed items on the ground including coffee maker parts, a very large wine bottle, and a sex toy kit called “Clone your Willy.”
The criminal complaint noted that officers blocked off 3rd Avenue South over concerns that weighted objects could lead to a “risk of great bodily harm or death” to passing motorists, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
A search warrant was executed on the apartment, and Judy was taken into custody after hours of lengthy negotiation, the complaint states.
Judy has a lengthy criminal history with 44 convictions or citations including 5 felonies that include: two counts of drive-by shooting, first-degree property damage, and two convictions on domestic assault. Judy’s other convictions include fifth-degree assault, violate a protection order, fleeing, domestic abuse and assault, and numerous citations for speeding and driving after revocation.
Court records indicate that Judy posted a $10,000 bond and was released from custody on Friday before making a court appearance. Judy was scheduled to make his first court appearance on the new charges Monday afternoon. A booking photo of Judy was requested but was not received in time for this report.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office reported on Friday about an ongoing investigation being conducted in collaboration with BCA agents involving a suspect who was believed to be distributing large amounts of narcotics in the metro area. They said the agencies conducted multiple search warrants last Thursday that resulted in a seizure of 31 illegally obtained guns, 1,269.61 grams of MDMA, 1,154.3 grams of cocaine, and $86,988 in US currency.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office remains committed to strong collaboration in order to help keep the community safe. pic.twitter.com/0psO8CJ142
— Hennepin Sheriff (@HennepinSheriff) January 6, 2023
HCSO said the suspect was arrested and has been charged in both Hennepin and Ramsey counties with counts of aggravated controlled substance involving a firearm.
The suspect was not named by HCSO, but jail and court records show 29-year-old Robert Dorwood Anthony Jordan of St. Paul was arrested Thursday during a traffic stop search warrant at East Lake Street and Clinton Avenue where police recovered quantities of MDMA, cocaine, and marijuana, as well as several guns and ammunition. At the same time, court records indicate that a search warrant was being executed at Jordan’s St. Paul residence on Geranium Avenue West where authorities found more drugs, numerous guns, and ammunition.
Complaints filed in both Hennepin and Ramsey counties state Jordan had been under investigation regarding the possession, sale, and transportation of illegal narcotics across multiple states by the West Metro Drug Task Force, Southwest Hennepin Drug Task Force, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, and the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office for the past few months.
Jordan has been charged in each county with two felony counts of first-degree controlled substance involving aggravating factors and possession of a firearm.
Jordan remains in custody in Hennepin County Jail on $200,000 bail. Confirmation from HCSO on whether Jordan was the suspect referenced was not able to be obtained in time for this report. A booking photo could not be immediately obtained.
Alexis Loretta Jane Poole, 23, of St. Louis Park was charged on Friday and is facing second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in Hennepin County District Court for allegedly stabbing her husband to death earlier last week.
Charges say St. Louis Park police responded on Tuesday, Jan. 3 to a residence on the 7100 block of Cedar Lake Road and found a male, later identified as Logan Gregory Barham, 22, who was heavily bleeding and had a stab wound to the upper left chest.
Barham became unresponsive and was transported to HCMC where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival. The medical examiner documented one stab wound approximately six-and-a-half inches in depth that penetrated Barham’s chest wall, lung and pierced his heart. The ME attributed the wound as the sole injury that resulted in Barham’s death, the criminal complaint states.
Poole gave police differing accounts of how the fatal injury occurred, first telling police that Barham was holding the knife while cooking and accidentally stabbed himself when his bad knee gave out. Medical providers told police the injury was not consistent with the story given by Poole. Also, the ME did not document any injury to the victim’s knee, and neither family nor neighbors corroborated Poole’s assertion that Barham had a bad knee.
After learning that Barham had died from the wound, Poole told police they had been in a fight, and she was holding a knife because she was afraid. Poole did not say that Barham advanced on her in any way, but she told police Barham tried to pick her up to move her out of the way so he could leave. Poole said she tried to push him away while she was holding the knife and that’s when he was stabbed.
The complaint stated that police had responded to the residence in 2020 after Poole called police and was making claims that she was going to harm others and kill herself. When police arrived, Poole was holding two knives and making strange statements.
Poole made her first court appearance on Friday and was granted a public defender. She remains in custody on $750,000 bail with a next court appearance scheduled for Jan. 30. A booking photo for Poole was not immediately available.
Minneapolis police were dispatched just after 2 a.m. Saturday on a report of a business burglary in progress on the 1500 block of Como Avenue Southeast, according to dispatch audio. Four black males were reported to have broken the front window and were taking items from the business. Crime Watch later obtained a video clip reported to be from the incident which showed at least three males and two vehicles in front of the business. Two of the males are seen running toward the vehicles while a third male appears to be gathering items from the sidewalk in front of the store. One vehicle appeared to not have license plates, and it’s unknown whether the vehicles may have also been stolen. Information was not immediately available on whether any suspects were located or identified.
— CrimeWatchMpls (@CrimeWatchMpls) January 8, 2023
State Patrol advised Minneapolis dispatch about 2:20 a.m. Sunday that a person had been shot on 394 near I-94. The victim was reported to be shot in the leg, and the vehicle containing the suspects fled from the area.
— CrimeWatchMpls (@CrimeWatchMpls) January 8, 2023
Police later told media that a vehicle containing four males pulled alongside the victim’s vehicle in the HOV lane and fired several shots. The victim’s vehicle then crashed into a snowbank. The victim is expected to survive.
At least four people were shot in a mass shooting in downtown Minneapolis early Sunday morning. Dispatch audio indicated that police responded to a chaotic scene following a report of a shooting about 3:30 a.m. at 930 Hennepin Avenue at the site of an after-hours party. More squads were immediately requested by responding officers, and one officer also aired that armed security was on site.
Police at the time indicated that at least three victims were found on site. EMS dispatch audio corroborated that three male victims of approximate ages 28, 29 and 32 were transported from the site to HCMC – one was reportedly shot in the head, one was shot in the abdomen, and one was shot in the upper leg. Audio indicated that police had applied a tourniquet to the victim with the leg wound prior to EMS transport.
While police were still on site clearing the building, the dispatcher said that “multiple more victims” showed up at HCMC in a vehicle, as well as another walk-up gunshot victim. Police requested crime lab personnel to the shooting scene.
Not many details were aired about possible suspects other than some vague descriptions of vehicles seen leaving the area.
Two separate people who were staying in the area of the shooting at the time told Crime Watch that they heard 20 to 30 shots fired, saw “people running everywhere,” and heard a multitude of sirens.
A Minneapolis police spokesperson responded to email inquiry about the shooting and stated that police found two adult males on scene with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. They said another adult male and female self-transported to HCMC with non-life-threatening injuries suspected to be graze wounds. Police confirmed that there was an after-hours gathering at the site and said the shooting happened outside the venue. A security guard also returned fire, the statement said. Questions remain about the number of victims given the discrepancy from the EMS audio that clearly indicated three victims were transported from the scene.
Police ask anyone with information about the shootings to contact CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Tips may be submitted electronically at www.CrimeStoppersMN.org. All Tips are anonymous and persons providing information leading to an arrest and conviction may be eligible for a financial reward.
Lakeville police reported on Sunday that they are investigating a shooting after a 31-year-old woman was found with a life-threatening gunshot wound inside a vehicle at the Amazon Fulfillment Center parking lot located at 9800 217th Street West.
— Lakeville Police (@LakevillePD_MN) January 9, 2023
The incident occurred just before 7 p.m., and police said a male acquaintance of the female was believed to be involved somehow. Police said the male was cooperating with the investigation and they didn’t believe anyone else had direct involvement in the shooting.
Lakeville police provided an update on Monday morning stating that the pregnant female victim had died; she has not yet been identified. They said that staff at HCMC were able to deliver the baby, but the baby’s condition was unknown at the time of the statement.
Lakeville police identified Donte Rapheal Mccray, 32, of Minneapolis as the male acquaintance of the victim. He has been arrested on probable cause charge of second-degree manslaughter and remains in custody. Police said McCray has employment affiliation with the Amazon facility where the shooting occurred. No details have been provided at this time on the circumstances that led to the shooting.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is assisting with the investigation.
The Duluth Police Department reported on Friday that they responded about 3:25 a.m. on a report of a home invasion and stabbing on the 1200 block of West Arrowhead Road. Two people were originally reported to be stabbed, but police found three stabbing victims on site: a 53-year-old female; a 32-year-old female; and a 36-year-old male. Police said all sustained non-life-threatening wounds and were transported by ambulance to a local hospital.
Police said that Tristan Jade St. Clair, 22, and Dustin Hawke St Clair, 27, were later located and arrested in relation to the stabbings.
The suspects knew an individual who was home at the time of the incident, but the victims did not know the suspects, police said.
Jail record show Tristan St. Clair was booked on pending felony charges of second-degree assault, first-degree burglary, terroristic threats, and misdemeanor damage to property. Dustin St. Clair was booked on pending felony charges of second-degree assault, first-degree burglary, terroristic threats.
Duluth police said the incident remains an active and ongoing investigation.
Court records show that Tristan St. Clair is on probation following October convictions in two separate cases on felony charges of domestic assault, and violation of a domestic abuse no-contact order. St. Clair’s 30- and 33-month prison sentences in the convictions were stayed in dispositional downward departures by St. Louis County Judge Sally Tarnowski, that were agreed to by prosecutors under the terms of plea deals in the cases. The convictions were Tristan St. Clair’s sixth and seventh felony convictions since 2021. The two felonies were stayed despite Tristan St. Clair’s other prior felonies that include the violent crimes of domestic assault in two separate cases, second-degree assault, discharge of a firearm that endangers safety, and threats of violence.
Dustin St. Clair has a 2013 conviction on first-degree aggravated robbery and also received a stay on the 24-month prison sentence in Carlton County.
– – –
Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.