Kevin Edward Belker, 65, has been charged with first-degree and second-degree criminal sexual conduct against two victims under the age of 13 who lived in his neighborhood at the time, the charges say.
According to details posted on the Hennepin County Attorney’s website, Bloomington Public Schools notified police of a complaint that a current employee of theirs had been involved in a sexual assault in the 1970s. Police followed up and found that Belker sexually assaulted several victims that lived in his neighborhood between 1973 and 1980.
The man identified as Victim 1 was recently in counseling and he recalled being molested by Belker. The man went online and saw that Belker was working at the Bloomington school district and reported it to district officials.
Victim 1 and four other victims came forward to police and gave detailed accounts of how Belker molested them, usually at the Bloomington house but at least one time in a movie theater. Those victims ranged from eight-to-12 years old during the time of the sexual assaults by Belker, who would have been in his twenties. During that time, Belker had a younger sibling, who was of similar age to the victims, the complaint said.
The criminal complaint mentions the incidents involving all five victims, but the press release states that Belker is only charged with sexually assaulting Victims 1 and 2, for now.
Belker still lives in the same home he lived in during the time of the offenses, in the area of West 99th Street and Johnson Avenue, the complaint says. He has been employed by Bloomington Public Schools since Sept. 18, 2018 and previously worked for Edina Public Schools from October 2005 to August 2018.
Bring Me the News posted an archived version of a staff listing for Oak Grove Middle School that listed Belker as a program management aide. The listing has since been removed from the staff directory.
The release from the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office states that Belker is currently on administrative leave with Bloomington Public Schools, per their policies.
Court records show that Belker has retained a private attorney and made his first court appearance on Tuesday afternoon. Belker remains in custody at the Hennepin County Jail on a $100,000 bail with conditions or $500,000 without conditions. He is scheduled to make his next court appearance on Jan. 19.
– – –
Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.