Twin Cities weekend crime incident recap

In Minneapolis, one person died and five people were injured in four separate shootings within five hours from Saturday night and into bar close early Sunday morning.

St. Paul police investigate a shooting Friday on the 1200 block of Hewitt Ave. (St. Paul Police Department/Twitter)

St. Paul recorded its 13th homicide just before 2 a.m. Friday when police were called to a residence on the 1200 block of Hewitt Avenue. There they found a 56-year-old male waiting down the block who said he shot a male who kicked in his door, entered the home and threatened his daughter, with whom the intruder had a relationship, according to a statement released by SPPD Friday morning.

A 30-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. The resident of the home was brought to St. Paul police headquarters, questioned and was released. SPPD said the incident continues to be investigated and that the case will be submitted to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office for charging considerations. There were no immediate arrests.

Minneapolis — Three MPD squads were rammed by a suspect in a vehicle just before 1 p.m. Friday while officers were acting on a warrant in the area of East Lake Street and Hiawatha Avenue.

Police said the warrant was for weapons, narcotics and a probable cause arrest. Two guns were reportedly recovered along with drugs. The suspect complained of pain and was hospitalized for observation prior to booking, police said, so the suspect’s identity was not immediately available.

Maple Grove police said they responded Saturday to a report of shots fired in their city just after 1:30 a.m. in the parking lot of a bar/restaurant on the 9300 block of Deerwood Lane. The incident stemmed from an altercation that started inside the establishment and continued outside. An individual fired shots toward a vehicle that was leaving the parking lot. That vehicle was later stopped with the assistance of the Brooklyn Park Police Department. There were no reports of injuries at the time and the suspect who fired the shots left the area before officers arrived.

Hotrodders engaged in roadway mayhem across the Twin Cities both Friday and Saturday night, taking over intersections and parking lots across the Twin Cities while blocking roads and doing burnouts.

Photojournalist Rebecca Brannon tracked the groups on both nights and captured some of what transpired. Brannon called it “sheer chaos” as hundreds of vehicles sped wildly across the cities to locations in north Minneapolis, south Minneapolis, Northeast Minneapolis, Dinkytown, downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, Brooklyn Center, St. Paul Park and Eagan.

When police responded Friday night in Dinkytown, near the University of Minnesota, they were screamed at and accosted as they tried to break up the crowd and vehicles blocking the road.

However, at least one hotrodder was arrested around 1:20 a.m. Sunday after he was tracked by a Minnesota State Patrol helicopter into the North Loop area of Minneapolis from Ramsey County where he reportedly fled from a traffic stop. The driver and one or more occupants bailed on foot from the orange Charger near 10th Avenue North and 4th Street North. The driver was apprehended within minutes, according to police dispatch audio.

In Minneapolis, one person died and five people were injured in four separate shootings within five hours from Saturday night and into bar close early Sunday morning.

The first took place about 9:30 p.m. Saturday in the parking lot at Merwin Liquor at 700 West Broadway Avenue. The shooting was set off by a parking lot rage incident where one party’s vehicle reportedly rolled into another party’s vehicle, according to police dispatch audio. The suspect fled the area after the shooting. The victim was reportedly shot in the leg and police later stated his injuries were non-life threatening.

Police responded to the next shooting just after 10 p.m. Saturday on the 2400 block of Elliot Avenue in south Minneapolis following a report of shots in the area. Police found a victim who was later reported by EMS to be a male in his 20s shot three times in the chest. MPD issued a press release Sunday afternoon stating that the 27-year-old male victim had succumbed to his injuries at the hospital. They said the death was being investigated as the city’s 18th homicide of the year. The victim has not yet been identified and police said no arrests had been made.

A reported recording of the gunshot audio from the incident surfaced online indicating it was “burst fire,” possibly from an automatic or modified firearm.

About 1:50 a.m. Sunday in downtown Minneapolis, police reported shots had been fired in the area outside the Gold Room on the 600 block of Hennepin Avenue. Shortly thereafter, it was upgraded to a shooting. A male suspect was taken into custody nearly immediately and police recovered a gun from the scene. The victim was reported by EMS to have suffered one gunshot wound. His condition wasn’t immediately known.

About 30 minutes later at 2:20 a.m. Sunday, police again reported gunfire in the area of 3rd Street and Hennepin Avenue. A gunshot victim was found behind Wild Greg’s Saloon. A woman was taken into custody in the shooting. Police later updated that the female victim was hospitalized with a non-life threatening gunshot wound.

About 2:30 a.m., two more gunshot victims showed up at Hennepin Healthcare (HCMC) in downtown Minneapolis. It was later aired over police dispatch that both victims were related to the downtown shootings. Both males were later reported by police to have non-life threatening wounds.

Minneapolis — Sunday just after noon, there were several bursts of gunfire and ShotSpotter activations dispatched to police in the area of West Broadway and Lyndale Avenue North and the surrounding area.

Two clips of gunfire audio reportedly from the incidents surfaced online.

Both clips appeared to indicate automatic or “burst” gunfire.

Farmington — Police responded about 8:30 p.m. Sunday on a report of a burglary at a jewelry store. Police arrived to find the front door shattered and the interior of the store in disarray. Police stated the burglars appeared to have entered through the ceiling, according to dispatch audio. A perimeter search ensued in the area of 3rd Street and Oak Street. Police were on site until just after 11 p.m. searching the building, and they used a drone to search the surrounding area. No suspects were apprehended at the time and information about the amount of loss or damage was not immediately available.

– – –

Minnesota Crime Watch & Information publishes news, info and commentary about crime, public safety and livability issues in Minneapolis, the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota.