2 police officers, 1 fire medic shot and killed in Burnsville 

One other officer was injured; the male suspect is dead.

Officer Paul Elmstrand (left), Officer Matthew Ruge (center), and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth (right)

UPDATE — Burnsville city leaders called a press conference Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. to provide additional details on a shooting that left two police officers and a fire medic dead.

“Today, three members of our team made the ultimate sacrifice for this community. They are heroes,” said Police Chief Tanya Schwartz. “They know that they have to give up their lives sometimes, and they do it anyways.

“We are all hurting. Our officers, our fire department, our families, all of our staff, our community. We’re heartbroken,” she continued, holding back tears. “We are going to need time to be together. Our families need time to grieve. They need time to be together. We need you to pray for them. That’s what we need right now.”

Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Superintendent Drew Evans reiterated that police were called to the 12600 block of 33rd Avenue South at 1:50 a.m. on a report of a domestic situation where a man reported to be armed was barricaded with family members.

Evans said police learned that there were seven children in the home, ranging in age from two to 15. He said police “spent quite a bit of time negotiating” with the suspect.

At one point, the suspect opened fire on the responding officers. He then continued to fire at first responders “from multiple positions” during the incident.

At 8 a.m., the suspect was “reported to be deceased in the home.” The children and other family members were then able to escape from the home.

“This is the toughest day that the city of Burnsville and our public safety family has ever experienced,” said Fire Chief BJ Jungmann.

Evans said the suspect had several guns and large amounts of ammunition. He stressed that the investigation is in its early stages and authorities “don’t know the exact exchange of gunfire that occurred,” but “several officers did return fire.”

Evans said he can’t comment at this time on why officers were called to the residence in the first place but confirmed a resident of the home made the initial call. Evans said the medical examiner will identify the suspect in the coming days.


UPDATE — The City of Burnsville has identified the two officers and fire medic who were shot and killed Sunday morning as Officer Paul Elmstrand, 27, Officer Matthew Ruge, 27, and firefighter/paramedic Adam Finseth, 40.

The city said police were called to the 12600 block of 33rd Avenue South at 1:50 a.m. Sunday on a report of a domestic situation where a man reported to be armed was barricaded with family members. After police arrived, the situation “escalated into gunfire with responders.”

“Elmstrand, Ruge and Finseth were killed by the gunman during the response. One other Police Officer, Sgt. Adam Medlicott, was injured and transported to a hospital where he is believed to have non-life-threatening injuries,” the city said.

Around 8 a.m., the suspect was reported to be dead, the city said. The other family members then left the home and are safe. The city asked residents to stay away from the area until further notice.

The city said:

Elmstrand, 27, joined the Burnsville Police Department in August 2017 as a Community Service Officer. He was promoted to Officer in July 2019. He was part of the department’s mobile command staff, peer team, Honor Guard and field training unit.

Ruge, 27, joined the Burnsville Police Department in April 2020. He was part of the department’s crisis negotiations team and was a physical evidence officer.

Finseth, 40, has been a Burnsville Firefighter/Paramedic since February 2019.


Two police officers with the Burnsville Police Department and one fire medic were shot and killed early Sunday morning while responding to a domestic abuse call, two police associations confirmed in a statement.

There was a large police presence, including armored vehicles, near the Terrace Oaks East Park throughout the morning. Law enforcement processed with the fallen officers and medic from the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office in Minnetonka Sunday afternoon.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said it is investigating and confirmed that the male suspect is also dead.

“We are heartbroken. Our law enforcement community is heartbroken. We’re just devastated at the horrific loss. These heroes leave behind loved ones and a community who will forever remember their bravery and dedication to keeping Minnesotans safe,” said Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association executive director Brian Peters.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the officers and first responder who responded to a domestic call this morning. These officers were struck down while answering the call of duty to serve and protect. We mourn alongside the Burnsville community and the families of those killed,” added Law Enforcement Labor Services executive director Jim Mortenson.

An American flag was raised on an overpass in Minnetonka in tribute to the fallen officers and medic. (Alpha News)

Gov. Tim Walz released a statement, saying other officers were injured in the incident.

Law enforcement hasn’t released any additional details on the situation yet.

Reactions to the news poured in online:

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 


Anthony Gockowski

Anthony Gockowski is Editor-in-Chief of Alpha News. He previously worked as an editor for The Minnesota Sun and Campus Reform, and wrote for the Daily Caller.